February brings some highly anticipated features. And here we go:
🌟 New features
(1) Admin Center
Various settings for the entire workspace, which could previously only be set or edited by smenso administrators, have now been unlocked for all our customers. More precisely: For "owners" of the workspaces of a customer organization, but more about that in the Helpcenter articles. Everyone else can now also manage personal settings here, such as names, language of emails and more.
One of the most anticipated features at this point is definitely member (and guest) management. This whole section will be updated regularly in the coming months.
The advanced setting options of the Admin Center (e.g. managing members) are reserved for owners: This special role is automatically assigned to the creator/first member of a workspace. However, this person can then also assign the owner privileges to other people.
How to find the Admin Center:
- Open the
avatar menuat the top right corner
- There's a new option
Personal settings: This is a link to the Admin Center. Depending on your role, you will either see "only" the personal settings, or - as an owner - further settings for the administration of the organization.
By the way, there is also a Dark Mode in the Admin Center... 🥳 Look for it in the bottom left corner. A small foretaste for the Dark Mode in the application - it's coming!
(2) Time Tracking
We have received a lot of feedback that tracking time would be cool and an important piece of the puzzle in the context of project management. In February, we therefore began rolling out the new time tracking feature 🎉
A little background: from the very beginning in smenso we offered the possibility of entering
Actual effort and
Plan effort, to be able to compare plans with reality. Time entries takes this to another level. You can now directly enter times incurred in tasks or subtasks and this time is reflected directly in the
Actual effort field. Unless you don't want this, you can still use the field for manual entries instead - no problem.
Time tracking is currently still a preview feature, i.e. we are not yet "feature-complete" with regard to our roadmap, but we are nevertheless deploying the feature in order to receive early feedback from you, our customers. The functionality currently provided mainly covers entering times in tasks and limited report possibilities for your own times, as well as for all recorded times in the workspace. The feature is furthermore provided in an "open" manner, i.e. there are no restrictions on e.g. roles or visibilities yet.
Small roadmap excursion in terms of time tracking:
- Permissions for time entries and reports
- Approval workflow for times
- Extended analysis options in widgets
- "Timer" function for recording times
- Additional recording options, including bulk entries for a week and calendar-based entries
We are very much looking forward to releasing these enhancements bit by bit 🥳
And here's a quick how-to:
- In a task, select the
⏱️ iconat the top
Add time entry, to get to the manual (detail) entry.
- (Alternatively) Select a fixed quick entry like
+1 hour. Details like a description can be entered afterwards as well.
Reports can be found in the main menu item
Times . There are currently two submenu items
My Times and
Reports. The lists behave just like all other tables in smenso, accordingly columns can be added or removed, as well as views can be saved personally and shared.
(3) New fields in list view
The system fields
Foldercan now be added as separate columns in the task list.
In the status column, the workflows can of course also be changed, whether standard workflow or user-defined workflow:
(4) Some improvements in widgets
Save/share widget pages
It is now possible to create multiple custom views of the project > overview page.
Such a small thing, so many possibilities ...
For example, just save a version of your current widget arrangement as a separate view and change it as you like, in the arrangement, but also in terms of selected data within the widgets. The view will remember it 😊
The behavior of widget views is analogous to that of task/project views. I.e. sharing views also works analogously.
And by the way: Widgets are not only available in the project overview. There are also widgets in the home area or in the project analysis. In the near future we will also take a look at the selection of available widgets in all places. A new widget is already available...
New widget type
In the widget selection you will now find a new type: List. As the name probably suggests: The widget can display list views. Add it e.g. in the project overview to display a certain list view there in a widget, which you have saved regularly (in your list view). (Editing the view must still be done in the List tab).
Printing text widgets
Text widgets can now be printed. With the appropriate browser settings of the print view, very nice views can be printed here! Give it a try 😉
(5) Locking flavors
Sounds kind of straight forward, right? Probably falls under the category of "Why haven't we done this already?". OK, here it is - flavors can now be locked to prevent unwanted editing.
configuration of each flavor now contains a checkbox that locks editing of this flavor. Only you can edit the flavor afterwards (or uncheck the box). Other people can't edit the flavor anymore. But everybody can see who has locked it, and at which time and if necessary contact him or her.
(6) Interpretation of code blocks
This is for the coders! ✊
In the editor, code blocks inserted via copy & paste are automatically recognized and formatted.
The code block option can also be found manually via this button:
✨ More improvements
- Share view: Show person who shared the view
In the views, the icon indicates that a view is shared. Via mouseover you can now see by whom the view was shared.
- An approval workflow can now be combined with a person flavor 🤯 So many possibilities! For example, if a flavor of the type person called
Creatoris created, it can be determined in the workflow that this field
Creatoris responsible for the status change approval. The creator selected in the task will thus receive an approval request and can grant/reject the approval.
- The display of custom statuses of tasks in the feed widget has been improved. Especially for the tasks that do not use the default workflow. The names of the statuses of the self-defined workflows are now also displayed in the feed.
- Improved adding a flavor to list views. Flavors can also be searched for if you want to add them as a column.
Move tasks to another project via bulk selection: Until now, the bulk selection could only be used to move tasks within a project, e.g. to other folders. You can now do it across projects.
- Sorting by flavors of the type "Relation": The list can now also be sorted alphabetically by columns with flavors of the type "Relations". Relevant for the sorting is simply the first specified relation.
- People selection dialog in the task list has been improved: The dialog is now the same as in the task detail - i.e. with proper search, with last used persons and also with teams.
- Improvement in task templates: If a template with filled flavor group named "General" is applied to an existing task that also already has an existing "General" group, the corresponding flavors are combined into one "General" group. Previously, this was displayed separately.
- Hyperlinks in text fields: It sounds trivial, but we have made sure that entered hyperlinks are immediately recognized as such in all editors (description fields, comments, etc.). The same applies to inserted hyperlinks. Until now, this could only be achieved with a detour via the link icon.
- If you entered a value in a flavor column in the project list, it was not automatically displayed in the project master data (Manage project) and could not be found manually. This is now always kept in sync automatically.
- For a short time, flavors could not be changed & saved in the project master data. This was fixed by hotfix.
- The backlinks table in the tasks did not always have a consistently formatted title bar - now fixed.
- If a custom workflow was selected when creating a task and the task was saved, this change was not correctly displayed in the list view until the page was refreshed in the browser - this has now been fixed and is applied immediately.
- In some circumstances, sharing a task via link caused attached files to be "marked" with a light gray bar on mouseover. Well, actually that was rather invisible underneath in that case 😂 But is fixed now.
- Again in some circumstances, if multiple task dialogs were opened on top of each other, e.g. a sub task within a task dialog, and files/attachments have been added, these attachments were sometimes added in all opened dialogs - now fixed.