6 Features • 14 Improvements • 20 Bugfixes
Even though we were very busy looking for Easter eggs, we delivered a big chunk of over 50 new features, improvements and bug fixes in April.
🌟 New features
(1) Restrict editing permissions
The selection of action buttons in our tasks details view continues to grow.... !
Sometimes there are things that are best left unchanged 🤷. Maybe a task has sensitive or important field information or description text that only you and 2-3 other people should be able to edit. This is where editing permissions come into play.
The permission settings of objects determine whether members are allowed to edit them or not.
Locked objects can still be opened by everyone in a read-only manner.
By default, editing of objects can be restricted by anyone. Editing rights are then given to the person who set the restriction and, for security reasons, to all administrators. Of course, you can specify who else should have editing rights besides you.
Editing rights are not to be mistaken for roles. Roles are always global permissions, while the editing permissions discussed here can be set individually for project master data/settings, tasks and subtasks in order to lock these objects and prevent them from being edited falsely or accidentally. If you want to learn more about roles, follow the link ↗️.
(2) Add new tasks directly with task templates
Previously, saved templates could only be applied to existing tasks/subtasks. Now you can create new tasks/subtasks directly with a task template! 🥳
In list views and board views, new optional add buttons will now show that are marked with a
down arrow ():
- In a list on top level:
- In a list on task level:
- In a list on subtask level:
- In a board above each column:
More small updates for task templates
- Set task templates as default: Templates can now be set as a default for new tasks in the project settings. Each new task will then be created with the corresponding template, unless a different template is actively selected when adding.
- Duplicate templates: Templates can now be duplicated in the Template Manager to quickly create variants of templates without modifying existing templates.
- Documents in templates: Documents that are saved in a template will now be included as well when using a template
Thus, there are now three ways to work with task templates 🤯
- Create new tasks/subtasks from a template
- Apply templates to an existing task/subtask
- Set templates as default for new tasks in a project
(3) Assign a subtask (directly) to another main task
You can now directly assign subtasks to another main task within the same project. Until now, this was only possible in a...let's say complicated way.
Options menu [...] in a task detail and find the option
(4) Convert task to subtask
Quite similar to the above topic, a task can now also be converted into a subtask.
Options menu [...] in a task and select
Convert to subtask.
(5) Changing the sign-in method or your own e-mail address in the Admin Center
It may well happen that you have registered with smenso using an email address that may not have been your business email address. Now you want to involve the whole team and use your own business email address for login and notifications in the future.
For this example and many similar situations, we have now made it possible to change your own email address or login method itself (Email/Password vs. Microsoft Personal Account vs. Microsoft Work Account).
Head over to your profile settings in the Admin Center (Admin Center >
(6) New widget to integrate list views
A widget to show lists can now be inserted in the widget areas in Home and in the overview of a project via the
⚙️ settings icon. Saved views can be easily integrated in the widget area. Mind that this is a personal setting, any added widget will only apply to yourself.
Note: In the home area, portfolio lists are available, in a project, list views of the project are available.
✨ More improvements
- Direct links to the help center: We have introduced new direct links to our help center in various places and will extend this further (e.g. in the new permissions dialog) in order to offer you information on specific features directly and within context:
- Save widget views in project overview (and home): It is now possible to create / save different views of the project overview (or home area). The usual functions of views are applied, e.g. sharing within the whole workspace.
- More tooltips: More tooltips have made their way into the task detail and other places.
- Editor update: When adding flavors in richtext edit fields (e.g. in the description field of a task), flavors of type "Relation" and "Person" are now also taken into account. The name of the flavor and its value are always displayed together and change dynamically if the values are changed.
- More columns in the portfolio list: The default fields Project Folder, Project Type and Location are now showable as columns. Administrators can also rename these fields which will also be taken into account.
- Date picker adjusted: For the "Date" flavor type, the date picker has been revised so that it is identical in all places across the system
- For a locked flavor, the context menu has been revised so that non-selectable options are grayed out
- Better guest labeling: Guests are now better highlighted as guests in many places, e.g. via labels or text additions.
- Empty flavors without colors in the list: When flavor fields are shown in a list view and have no value in a cell, the cell is now without any color
- Administrators also get a label in person selection dialogs
- The view menu now shows a tooltip with the full view name for long view names (they are abbreviated usually)
- When adding linked tasks in a description field, a tooltip with the full task name is now always displayed in the search results
- New flavor type "URL": Web addresses are automatically formatted as links. Learn more.
- Time tracking update (preview): Times are always displayed in full, even if they were entered in tasks in private projects. However, the task title as well as the description of a time entries is now anonymized if it comes from a private project (viewable only if you are added to the private project).
- We also made some framework updates in the backend and frontend that improve stability and performance.
- The button for
+ New Projectin the navigation menu was invisible for a short time 👀
- After applying a template to an existing task/subtask, comments would sometimes not show anymore, they only reappeared after a refresh - now fixed.
- The terms
Project endwere different in master data and portfolio list - now aligned
- Some German translations when marking multiple tasks have been corrected
- The flavor menu had a small bug that the tooltip was displayed truncated for locked flavors
- The snackbar message when sending a change request of a locked flavor displayed wrong text - now fixed
- The widget for displaying lists in the project overview or in the home area could not be renamed - now fixed
- When duplicating a project, the project logo was not taken into account - now it is!
- When duplicating a project, the currency was not taken into account until now, if a currency other than EURO was set. Now the selected currency is preserved when duplicating.
- When configuring a flavor of the type "Relation" the column "Status" could be selected twice - now corrected.
- In the task detail view, longer project titles sometimes overlapped with the jump icon.
- On a very small number of customer systems, task creation in public projects was only possible to a limited extent - this has been solved via hotfix.
- The widget of type "Text" was displayed truncated under certain circumstances - now fixed.
- Various text corrections in the timeline
- Timeline: Some changes (e.g. status changes) of tasks would only show after refreshing the page - now fixed.
- A custom configured tooltip of a flavor was not displayed if the flavor name had an emoji in front of it as the first character - now fixed. In addition, a newly created tooltip only appeared after refreshing the page - this has also been fixed.
- Some tooltips just got stuck abruptly! Not anymore.
- The master data widget in the project overview had display problems at very small resolutions, now improved.
- The selection
Change workflowin the dialog for status changes (visible only for administrators) was hidden under some circumstances. Now corrected.
- When entering a time in a task, the task list in the background (if you're in the the list view) updated unnecessarily - not anymore.
In the course of introducing the option to restrict editing permissions on objects, a change in the marking of private projects was introduced. Previously, private projects were marked with a
🔒 in the project portfolio and other places for authorized persons. The new way shows a
Private label marking private projects:
The lock symbol
🔒 now stands for restricted editing rights across the system. It is displayed in projects as well as in tasks in the different views.