For recurring projects, the use of a self-created project template is recommended. Any project can be defined as a project template and used for future project installations.
Currently, no predefined templates are offered by smenso in the system, but many best practices are available in the Help Center.
Project template properties
- If a project is defined as a template, it will be displayed exactly in this state when the project is created as a template.
- Project templates are hidden by default in the usual views (List view, Board view).
- If you want to see an overview of all project templates, you can display them using the filter in the portfolio:
- If an active project is to be turned into a project template, the current state should be duplicated, if necessary, in order to then store this state as a project template. We recommend that you do not use a project template as an active project, although this would theoretically be possible.
- The following properties of projects are transferred to the project template:
- Tasks (including flavors/labels)
- Flavors (master data)
- Labels (master data)
- Other master data (project management, budget, location, description, project goal, project benefits, hourly rate, default currency)
- Standard workflow for new tasks
- Standard template for new tasks
- Permissions (write permissions master data)
- Locking time logs property
- Logo for print output
Create a project template
Any project can be defined as a template.
To do this, proceed as follows:
- Open the 3-dot menu of a project and select
- Select the
- In the
Use project as template section, activate the slider
If a project has been defined as a project template, a bar will appear in the project to indicate the project template as such:
Using a project template to create a new project
Within the project creation, you can choose if you want to start a project from scratch ("Empty project") or if you want to start with an existing project template.
Create a project from a project template as follows:
- Select the
+ New Projectbutton in the Main Navigation Area on the left
Select from templates
- Select a project template from the list of templates:
- In just a few steps, the wizard will guide you through the project creation process based on your chosen project template. These fields are required:
- Project name
- Project type
- Project folder
- In the next step, select the start date of the project. You can choose between the start date of the template or a new start date. If you choose a new start date and check the Move start and due dates of tasks based on the start date, all tasks contained in the project template will be moved forward to the new start date without losing their respective durations.
- Select the properties to be transferred from the project template to the new project. Either everything can be taken over 1:1, or a user-defined selection can be made.
- Choose the visibility of the project (Open or Private).
Learn more about project visibility ️↗️
- In the last step you can choose if you want to create the project as inactive, if you want to set yourself directly as a watcher, and if you want to jump into the project (i.e. the new project opens directly).
- That's it! Your new project from the project template is created.
Only project templates are displayed that were previously defined as project templates in the project settings.